Sep 25, 2008

Looking good, but needs a gnome

If not a gnome, some other little nicknack, maybe a little red mushroom, an owl, or deer...


I started this little moss terrarium a couple weeks ago after reading through this post, which has lots of cute pictures and great information throughout. I found this jar at a thrift store, and thought it would be perfect! Kade and I took a walk to collect our little specimens.... rocks from the road by our house, 3 different kids of moss, and a cute little lichen... baby fern??... that I had to practically climb a tree for. Surprisingly, the hardest thing to find was soil. We finally used a stick to dig a hole in the hard pebbly ground, and a couple inches down was some nice damp soil. We carried everything back home in our pockets, with our hands stained green and dirt under our fingernails.

That was the fun part for Kade. I can't wait to see it in a couple more months, once it starts really growing. Once it was all put together (I think maybe I used too much soil?), I excitedly showed it to Kade, who shrugged his shoulders and said, "it's not doing anything. It's bored."
I think maybe a little miniature character to live in this mossy forest would spark his interest and imagination. Any ideas where to get such a thing?

I'm thinking it would be REALLY fun to make these for Christmas presents... I just don't know if it's the kind of thing certain people would appreciate. I know some that would, but a few I am not sure of. I don't want them to think, "thanks so much for the old jar of dirt and weeds". Some people might not get it, you know?

OK, so my terrarium isn't looking that beautiful yet, but here are some I found on Etsy which I am SO tempted to buy! I want them so badly! I could cover every windowsill, table top, and bookshelf with these... there are even ones to hang up on a wall or wear around your neck!! Take a look at some of my favorites:

Hanging Terrarium from TheOakLeaves


***Thanks for all the Spider-Monkey love yesterday!! The guy is going to pick it up tomorrow, and I'm so excited for him to see it that I might just scream and throw it at him as he comes through the door. Or I could wrap it in 15 layers of tissue, newspaper, wrapping paper, kraft paper, plastic wrap, duct tape, and 4 boxes... just to build up the anticipation. "HAHA! You thought you were finally going to see it, but NOPE, it's the Sunday comics!!! How crazy is that?!?!?" Or, maybe I'll just casually say, "what? Oh yeah, that thing I made for you. I had forgotten. Here ya go," and then sit back down at the computer to look at the new LOLcats.

No comments: